Wednesday, July 20, 2011

OFF THE GRID....

Sunday and Monday I didn't do a lot, however Tuesday turned in a marathon. The first thing in the morning I had an appointment with a Podiatrist.  My left foot has been hurting and swelled up for no reason.  This has been going on for two weeks, so I thought I better do something about it.

The doctor said I had neuroma and he injected two cortisone shots in the top of my foot, OUCH!  He ended up by wrapping it and then prescribing an anti inflammatory.  He also wanted me to get a compression stocking.  He said he couldn't write a prescription for the stocking but did just that and forgot to write one for the pills he prescribed. I just took the slip of paper and didn't look at what he wrote down. This turned into a big to do at the pharmacy.  Nothing easy!

After I got through that mess I went over to the local Spa to get a gift certificate for a friend's birthday.  Then went to the local beauty supply to get some items.  I decided I probably should have breakfast, it was around ten thirty by then, so I went to a coffee shop. After that I called a friend of mine that lives only a mile and a half from me.  I hadn't talked or seen her all summer. we all seem to be busy.  I asked if it was okay to stop by and as she was waiting for her cleaning people to come and was dressed and ready, she said, "come on over." 

While at her house she asked if I wanted to go to a movie.  We decided on seeing the new Harry Potter movie.  Prior to that she wanted lunch and as I had the late breakfast I told her I would but would only have an ice tea. We went into Jerry's Woodfired Hotdogs, who by the way is originally from Cleveland, Ohio, the owner was there and told us they were opening a new place at the Orange County airport.  The hot dogs are great and they should do well at the airport. 

The above got me home around four o'clock and I had a dinner and a meeting that night.  I met and sat with people that I know for dinner but decided I wasn't going to attend the meeting.  It was a quiet night but someone said the meeting was going to be a long one.  I decided instead, to go to a restaurant that I've been contacting the owner of  and see if he was in. I've been trying to meet with him to have him donate a couple dinners for the fashion show that I'm co chair of for the Hawaii and California State President for the Elks Club.  They are a great charitable organization and the State of California raised over three million for charity last year.

I went into the restaurant but the owner wasn't there. I went into the bar and ordered a drink.  There was this elderly gentleman that I sat next to.  He started talking to me and imparted that he used to work at Rockwell, the space agency, and was a retired engineer.  His wife had passed away five or so years ago and like most people out there alone, me included, he was alone. 

As we talked he was telling me about Bowers Museum that he and his wife used to belong to that is located in Santa Ana.  This museum has some wonderful exhibits and lectures, not to mention an excellent restaurant located in the museum.  He asked me if I would like to attend a lecture on Scrimshaw, which was what was being exhibited at this time.  I told him I couldn't make it because I had an appointment that day, which was this Thursday.  He then asked me if I would meet him for lunch and go to the afternoon lecture which was on Frank Sinatra's music.  It was so funny, he said that he didn't hear well and needed someone to help him hear. In a moment of weakness I said okay.  That will be Thursday at 1:30 p.m. and that evening I have a women's club meeting to talk about the fashion show.  To say I'm keeping busy is an understatement.

The other thing that happened was as I was leaving the parking lot at the Elks, a man I know who is a District Attorney, came up to me as I was getting in my car, and wanted to discuss having the Marine Core Ball in November.  I think that would be great and I'll see where we go with this after I talk to some other people that are involved in the Veterans programs.

I may have to learn that word "NO," although at this time busy seems like a good thing to be.


Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment